logotype
Sources

Central State Archive (ACS)

The documents of the Ministry of Italian Africa (M.A.I.) about the Town Planning of Tripoli in Barberia are available for the years from 1934 to 1936, as alternative to the one of 1914  (available in the original paper documents by the cartographical archive of IsIAO).

In this documentation are described the characteristics of the city, its role and the conformation of the Medina, entirely respected by the scheme of Giovannoni, except for some completely decaying areas, for which was proposed the “clearing”.

The city is analysed as the result of several parts: the new were built next to the old ones.

The historical district, delimited by the walls, from which depends the castle’s area, contains also the remains of the old Turkish aqueduct, with the springs Bumeliani and Fornaci.

A theme of great interest is also the methodological approach to the “Town Planning”, by which are distinguished the different areas that form the urban territory.

In fact, as it’s possible to read in the Premises of the Town Planning of 1934- XII:

  • “At present, the city of Tripoli is formed:
  • By the old Arabian city closed into the perimeter of the ancient walls;
  • By the suburbs that during the Turkish dominion were shaped in a “fan shape way”, along the caravans way leading to the Castle’s doors, where they formed the square first named Broad Square, now called Italy Square; the most important one is the district of Bel-ker;
  • by the East-spread settlements of the most intensely built area, that come until the Government Offices. Among them there are old centres - as the ones around the Dahra, new ones - as the villas of Italy Cooperative and native villages;
  • by recent unions among all these different areas formed during the city’s expansion in a not enough uniform way”.

This examination, whose aim is to realize the structure for the  Town Planning and for the several architectonical urban works, distinguishes  between the external  zones -  as areas in expansion - and the areas inside the walls, which have already an archaeological and historical importance.

 

Italian Institute for Africa and East Countries (IsIAO)

In these cartographic fonds were examined many different documents: the Town Planning of Tripoli of 1914, with the planimetries 1:5000 (the castle’s internal structure in 1914 is  perfectly evident here ), the land survey maps 1:5000 and the Royal Decree 15.01.1914, with the changes on the Town Planning and the demolitions to carry out on the external urban areas of the  Medina.

Both the documents regarding the Arc of Marco Aurelio and the Aurigemma’s graphic study on the fortress of Tripoli  are also a subject of great interest.

From a well-detailed 1:20000 planimetry was possible to deduce with precision the representation of the Castle and its conditions before the changes of the dominion’s years, in which are recognizable most of all the internal parts.

The reference to the Town Planning’s changes are kept in the fonds available by the A.C.S.

 

Histotical Diplomatical Archive of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs (ASD)

The fonds of the Historical Diplomatic Archive of Farnesina concern not only the political and military activity, but also the colonies’ administration.

From the sources’ examination was deduced a considerable cartographic heritage in the  political and administrative documents’ field of the Italian colonization’s first phase.

The cartography is based on a territorial scale and testifies not only the structure of the interested area, but also the military reports of the battles. (for example The photographs of the Libian Campaign 1922-23) and whatever could be useful to plan and testify the economical development of the colony. The cultural and idealistic implications are also very important, because they  see in the fascist colonization the back of a New Rome.

The fonds that got back the majority of information, most of all photographical,  are the ones of the A.O.I. -i.e. Italian East Africa- Tripolitania and Cirenaica together with the ones of the West Africa- Eritrea, Etiopia and Somalia - and the private Fonds Volpi. In this way was possible the reconstruction  of the last events and the last works occurred on the monument.

The fonds Volpi are particularly interesting, thanks to their great photographical documents of Tripolitania, especially for the capital city, Tripoli, where are witnessed the most significant architectonical and building works.

There are several images of the Red Castle, especially from the moment of its destination as administrative and diplomatic seat. In this fonds, are well-documented also the economical volumes and the Italian financial funds for the works on the Castle and on other works and infrastructures, and it’s also present quite a lot of cultural documents about the excavation activity and discovery of the Fine Arts Commission, directed in that period by Aurigemma and about  the Libyan Museum for Natural History too.

 

Agronomic Institute overseas (IAO)

The series of magazine Libia has been consulted, it was edited since 1937 to 1942 in Tripoli and it is hold in the Institute library. It contains a lot of articles on the Castle operations, especially on the Fausto operations.

The photographic documents are very interesting. It is not focused on the proper building trade, but on the Italian economical effort in the colonies.

The most interesting photo are the ones took by Prof.Armando Maugini during a travel in Libia in 1937-38. There are many photo of the Castle after the first two operations. It is documented also the Museum entrance by Fausto.

 

Central Institute for  Catalogue and Documents (ICCD)

The postcard database of Ferro-Candilera fund has been consulted. It contains some Castle and Tripoli pictures. A partial view of the coplex from the top is particular useful, because it attest  the factory status. Some interior and courtyard views are not so useful because both the date and the location is unknown.

 

Italian geographical Company (SGI)

 

The only one documents is a photo that goes back to the first years of XX century, in which it is possible recognize the Castle status, by a glimpse view.

The data of that photo is defined thanks to the view on the background of the south-west Bastion, that does not exist anymore in the twenty-years period photo.